Gutter maintenance can be grossly overlooked. Even if trees do not surround your home, you are still subject to other forms of debris that get stuck and cause further problems to your roof, fascia board, and your foundation.
Why is it important to inspect my rain gutters?
When working properly, gutters help direct water away from the foundation during rainfall. During the winter with the help of heat tape, a path is created to guide the water off the roof.
This prevents water from seeping up under the shingles and causing more damage.
Without gutter maintenance, both your roof and your foundation are at stake, which are major repair jobs costing thousands and often times requiring insurance companies to get involved.
Tips for gutter maintenance
- Your gutters take a beating year round with sun, rain, snow, and other forms of wear and tear. It is important to at least inspect your gutters every season.
- If you have trees, check your gutters multiple times during the fall as leaves are coming down.
- During rainfall, you can check your gutters by watching the water come through all your downspouts.
- Remove the horizontal downspouts touching the ground to prevent ice and snow damming up during the winter months.
- Eventually you will need to inspect your gutters on your roof for rusted spots as well as the hardware holding the gutters to your roof to ensure that they are intact and strong.
- Replacing a gutter tie here or there is far less expensive than replacing damaged gutters.
Cleaning gutters is a small but important task. Consistent gutter maintenance will prevent major problems down the road.
Regular on-going home maintenance can help keep your home safe and minimize the potential of costly future repairs.
Contact Mountain Valley Properties, LLC– your local licensed and insured property management and home maintenance company–to schedule a time to have your gutters checked and cleaned. Call us at (970)930-8106 or email Jim at Jim@MPVaspen.com to discuss our property maintenance services and we can help you.